Monday, September 21, 2009

Class Project "Food bank"

I have been thinking about the project that was mentioned in class about the food bank. I think that we could really do something good with this. I know they want it to be run like a store, so why not set up a “store front” on the web for the food bank. I am sure I don’t know how to do all this, but with help I think it will work.
Everyone who is now helped by that food bank must have an identifying number. If these patrons were given access to the food bank data base, and were given a “budget”, they would be able to see what is available and spend their “budget” on things that they want, vs getting things they really can’t use. Because they are given a budget, they would get experience with managing their money and meal planning as well. The store could actually be set up in isles like a real store, meat in one isle, fresh vegetables, canned goods on another isle etc. They could “shop” and then “check out”, sort of like you don on any web site where you can make purchases. As long as they have the funds in their “budget” the food will be picked and packed and they could actually pick it up the next day. There is a whole other component to this, and that is how the food that is donated gets set up in the data base, but that is just a process of data management. Like I said, this is just a thought. I would be interested in hearing what others think about this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment